Cash for Making Your Garden More Water Wise!
We can help you make changes to your garden to save water, money and maintain a healthy landscape! Interested in upgrading the efficiency of the irrigation system? Retrofitting to rotating nozzles to eliminate runoff and misting? How about a smart irrigation controller? Or a rain shut-off sensor? Tired of weekly mowing, edging and watering? The Water Wise Landscape Rebate Program is currently available only in the service areas listed below. Program requirements may vary slightly depending on your service area, so please see the specific details related to your water purveyor's requirements. Get started by contacting your water provider!
Santa Barbara County Rebate Program Participants
Vandenberg Village Community Services District
The District's Smart Landscape Rebate Program is suspended indefinitely. For more information and updates about the program, click here.
City of Solvang
As part of the City of Solvang's Water Conservation Program, the City periodically offers a Turf Replacement Rebate Program. Please see the Turf Replacement Rebate Program Form here, and contact the City's Utility Billing Clerk at (805) 688-5575 for more details. For other rebate programs that the City currently offers, click here.
City of Lompoc
The City of Lompoc is offering Water Wise Landscape Rebates when you retrofit your existing landscape with WaterWise plants and water efficient irrigation systems. A substantial water savings must be estimated by City staff to qualify.
The rebate amount is up to $1000 for each address and can include the cost of plants, mulch, and irrigation equipment. Each site must be pre-qualified for the rebate before old landscaping is removed or changed. Call 875-8298 for more information or an appointment to pre-qualify. Click here.
City of Buellton
The City of Buellton is offering rebates for replacing a lawn with water efficient plants, xeriscape, or synthetic turf in order to increase water efficiency and reduce water use. This is a "Cash for Grass" rebate program, offering eligible applicants $1.00 per square foot of rebate with a maximum rebate amount of $750 for eligible residential properties.
Requirements for the Rebate:
- Applicants must be a current water customer in good standing for the past 12 months.
- The existing lawn must have living landscape that is not water wise. Dead grass or low water use landscapes are not eligible.
- Projects must be approved in advance. The program is not retroactive.
- Landscapes for new construction are not eligible.
- Sales receipts and/or contractor invoices are required for all rebates. And project must be complete and thriving prior to rebate issuance.
- No more than 50% of the front yard may be covered with gravel. At least 50% of the front yard shall be landscaping.
- Rebates are limited to $750 maximum for each eligible residential property.
For more information including how to participate, terms & conditions, and a copy of the application form: Click here
Goleta Water District
The Goleta Water District (GWD) Smart Landscape Rebate Program provides incentives to residential and commercial customers to replace water thirsty landscapes and inefficient irrigation with water-wise plants and irrigation.
The program is for residential and commercial Goleta Water District customers and covers a portion of the cost of pre-approved design, irrigation equipment, and landscape materials. Projects must be approved in advance and landscapes for new construction are not eligible. The program is not retroactive. Sales receipts and/or contractor invoices are required for all rebates.
How It Works
Customer schedules a "pre-inspection" site visit. At the site visit GWD staff review the garden, irrigation system, water
history, and customer's plan for landscape upgrades. Staff then takes a "before" picture of the garden. The application
is completed by GWD staff and the customer. The application is submitted to GWD at that time. The customer then has 120
days to make the pre-approved upgrades and call to schedule a post-inspection. At the post-inspection, GWD staff confirms
upgrades, collects receipts, and takes an "after" picture. GWD then has 60 days to review receipts and issue a check
to the customer for qualifying design and materials. GWD reserves the right to require post-inspection photos be submitted
by the customer in lieu of a physical post-inspection.
Any combination of pre-approved irrigation equipment and planting costs may qualify for a one-time rebate of up to $750 for single family meter customers and up to $2,000 per meter for multi-family (HOA), commercial, and dedicated landscape
irrigation meter customers (up to 2 meters or $4,000 per multi-family or commercial site).
- Landscape Design: 50% of the cost of landscape design, up to a maximum of $250 for design services. Design will only be rebated in combination with other approved materials.
- Irrigation Equipment: 50% of the cost of drip irrigation parts, sprinkler system efficiency retrofits, rotating sprinkler nozzles, and equipment for a laundry to landscape graywater system.
- Water-Wise Plants and Mulch: 50% of the cost of water-wise plants and mulch. Planted areas must be covered with a 3-inch or greater layer of mulch.
- Smart Irrigation Controller: 50% of cost of the smart irrigation controller. Smart irrigation controllers work on simple principles: provide the appropriate watering schedule; automatically adjust for weather changes; irrigate based on the needs of your plants.
- Pool Cover: 50% of the cost of a pool cover, up to a maximum of $300 per pool cover.
- Synthetic Turf and Permeable Surfaces: 50% of the cost of artificial turf and other permeable surfaces.
- Laundry-to-Landscape Graywater: 50% of the cost of laundry-to-landscape graywater system parts.
Carpinteria Valley Water District
Carpinteria Valley Water Districts Water Wise Landscape Rebate Program covers a portion of the cost of pre-approved equipment and materials:
- Irrigation equipment (drip irrigation parts, sprinkler system efficiency retrofits, and rotating sprinkler nozzles)
- Smart irrigation controllers
- Water-wise plants
- Artificial turf
- Permeable surfaces
In addition, 50% of landscape design costs up to $250 can be rebated within the the total rebate amount.
Any combination of design costs, irrigation equipment and planting costs may qualify up to a one-time rebate of $500 for single family homes and up to $1,000 for commercial, multi-family and HOAs.
Projects must be approved in advance. Each site must be pre-qualified for the rebate before old landscaping is removed or changed. Landscapes for new construction are not eligible. To schedule your pre-qualification site visit, before any work is done, please calll 684-2816 x116 or email email@example.com. For more information click here.